Friday 29 January 2016

TIL PAPAD / SESAME SWEET PAPAD

Til papads are made during Sankranti, the harvest festival of Indians.
Varieties of sweets made of groundnuts, sesame and jaggery are made and distributed among friends.

Here I am sharing a recipe of sesame and sugar made in North Indian homes.
These are small sweet crispy discs very simple to make and very tasty and nutritious.


METHOD
2 measures white til/sesame seeds
1 measure sugar

 PREPARATION
Before lighting the stove, grease a rolling pin and board with a little ghee

  • In a thick bottomed pan , add a measure of sugar and heat on slow to medium heat.
  • When the sugar melts completely, add the til/sesame and mix well to form a ball.
  • Transfer the ball to a greased rolling board
  • Grease your fingers with a little ghee and give proper shape to the ball  and roll out into thin circular discs. Roll out as thin as possible.
  • THIS PROCEDURE HAS TO BE FAST  AS THE SUGAR BEGINS TO HARDEN QUICKLY AS IT STARTS COOLING AND IT CANNOT BE ROLLED  AND YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH A BALL OF TIL AND SUGAR.
  • This procedure has to be repeated for making each papad.
  • Use small measures of sugar and til/sesame each time to make a papad.
  • A small ladle for measurement would be ideal.
  • DO NOT ALLOW THE SUGAR TO BECOME BROWN /CARAMELIZE WHILE MELTING. KEEP THE FLAME LOW.













Keep the required amount of til and sugar in two separate bowls
SCRAP THE SPOON CLEAN AFTER MAKING EACH PAPAD AS THE  TIL AND SUGAR MIX WILL STICK TO THE SPOON WHILE MIXING

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.