Friday 27 March 2015

AVIAL / MIXED VEGETABLE STEW

AVIAL
A South Indian stew made of a combination of vegetables in a semi solid gravy of coconut paste .

 This is usually served as a side dish for Adai . 
It is also one of the essential items in a South Indian  traditional meal which is served on a banana leaf.



INGREDIENTS
Select  a large variety of vegetables.
I have used a mixture of yam,pumpkin, chow chow (chayote), carrot,beans,potato, drumstick, raw banana, knol khol and ash gourd.
Yam, pumpkin and raw banana are the basic vegetables. But you can try out any combination . Select vegetables which remain firm and do not become very soft on cooking.
MIXTURE OF VEGETABLES

GRIND TO A PASTE

VEGETABLES WITH THE GROUND PASTE

4 cups mixed vegetables
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
1/4 tsp rice flour
1/4 cup curd
2 tbsp coconut oil
a few curry leaves

salt to taste 

METHOD
  • Cut the vegetables into 2 inch long cubes.
  • Boil along with salt. Do not overcook. The vegetables should be cooked but firm.
  • Grind to a paste,the coconut, jeera, green chillies and rice flour.
  • When the vegetables get cooked ,add the ground paste along with afew curry leaves and simmer for a few min.
  • Do not boil on high heat for a long time as the oil from the coconut will begin to separate.
  • Add coconut oil and curd and mix well
  • Avial is ready to be served !

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.