Saturday 24 August 2013

METHI UPMA

What do  I make for breakfast today? This is the question most of us ask every morning. Of course there are many people I know, who plan their menu well in advance. I wish I could join their club!!

I finally decided to make UPMA or UPPIT as we call it in Karnataka. Now now, I can imagine the expressions on your faces.
It is not that bad folks. With the right amount of oil and spices it really tastes yummy. It is my hubby's favorite breakfast and anytime menu. :-)

I tried to bring a little variation to the conventional upma and what I got was a really delicious dish.Hope you like it too. 

So here goes the method.

Ingredients:

1 cup rawa

1medium sized onion

1 small capsicum

1/2 cup chopped methi (fenugreek )leaves

3-4 green chillies

 a pinch of turmeric

5-6 tbsp oil

1/2 tsp each of jeera (cummin), mustard, chana dal (bengalgram dal )and udad dal (black gram)
salt to taste 



Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan.When the mustard splutters add green chilies and onions and saute for a few secs. Then add chopped capsicum.Fry for a few secs.Add the chopped methi leaves.


    When the water starts to dry up add the rawa and fry well till the raw smell is gone and the rawa is well roasted.Add a pinch of turmeric. Meanwhile boil two cups of water along with salt. Add the water ,(keep the flame to low) mix once and cover the pan with a lid. When  cooked mix well again and garnish with grated coconut.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.